Friday, January 10, 2014

January is National Mentoring Month

 I never knew National Mentoring month is in January! Being a mentor and/or having a mentor is so important in your life. While mentoring has been around for eons of years, to me, it still isn't widely promoted as it should be and I believe mentors make a huge impact in the growth and development of future leaders. For those of you who don't know what a mentor or mentoring is Merriam-Webster defines a "mentor" as someone who is a trusted counselor or guide. Typically, mentoring begins in your youth and grows with you into your adult years. 

Along the way, some pick up multiple mentors which is welcomed but having at least one go-to mentor can be sufficient. I am lucky to have a mentor who remains a constant support system in my life. She's like a second mom to me (literally she has a lot in common with my biological mom) and she never stops pushing me to do my best. She's seen me at my worst too and still coaches me through the tough times. If it wasn't for my mentor, I do not think I would have started this blog honestly (so thank her y'all)! I could go on and on and on about how amazing my mentor is but I hope this post encourages someone to become a mentor today or get a mentor! 

I know some of the greatest challenges of being an effective mentor is your TIME! However, I will say my mentor and I do not live in the same state anymore but we still maintain an email/text relationship. Whenever we are in the same area, we always try to organize a lunch or coffee date with each other because we believe in nurturing our relationship. That's what it is about folks! You have to keep positive people on your team that will see you through your best and your worst but most of all, see you through meeting your life goals. 


No comments:

Post a Comment