Wednesday, November 12, 2014

#NaBloPoMo: Have You Ever Had Extended Writer's Block?

writer's block - crushed and crumpled paper on notepad 

Prompt: Have you ever had extended writer's block? How long did it last? What did you do to break out of it, and do you have tips for other bloggers?

I have had extended writer's block and I believe the longest I've ever had it last was almost a year. The hardest part of being a creative brain sometimes is that you're expected to have this endless reservoir of ideas but at times, your creativity dries up. The bulk of my block started because I just didn't feel motivated or inspired to write anything at the time. The best way for me to break out of writer's block is to take a trip or two to just clear my head. If I can't find the time to getaway, then I like to try creating new recipes. Cooking is my roundabout way of forcing me to still be creative but just in a different way.

I've always found trying something outside of your creative comfort zone to work for me. So even if you're not a painter, try a paint n sip activity, if you're not a great cook, sign up for a cooking class or if you dance like you have two-left feet, try a ballroom dancing class for fun! The point is you have to remain true to you're creative side but finding an outlet that still allows you to express yourself while picking up a new skill could be a great way to break your writer's block. Who knows? You might even discover hidden talents that you didn't know existed until you try something new!

Photo Courtesy of Flickr.com/By PhotoSteve101

No comments:

Post a Comment