Monday, December 16, 2013

Dating a Friend’s Family Member

Heart
When it comes to dating, they say you should “cast out a wide net for options;” however, what do you do when that “net” happens to catch the eye of your friend’s family member (in this case a sibling)? This can be tricky and from personal experience it is best that you approach this situation with EXTREME caution. Whether you are the person pursuing or your friend’s family member is trying to pursue you, both of you should talk about it to see if this is something you both really want (if all you or they want is a fling, don’t risk it!).  

Surprisingly, it isn’t unusual for a sibling of your friend(s) to try to talk to you that level because you are around them often and over time, the attraction grows (it just happens sometimes!). In my own personal experience, I tried to be open to a situation like this but deep down inside I never felt comfortable with it and at the end of the day, I had to be true to myself and my feelings-- the spark just didn’t exist! 
The good thing is my situation didn’t get deep but I’ve heard worse stories of where people tried to date their friend’s sibling and till this day have lost not only a relationship but a friendship at the same damn time! The best thing you can do is to try to keep your friendship with your friend SEPARATE from your relationship with their family member.  As much as you want to confide in your friend about things, it could bring on stress for them because they may feel like they’re in the “middle” and that’s never a good feeling.
Now don’t get me wrong! I’ve also heard positive love connections from dating a friend’s sibling but that’s because deep down inside they BOTH wanted it and the intentions were pure & genuine.

Whatever you decide, just make sure it’s really what you want! If your gut tells you otherwise, listen to it. There is always other fish in the sea!

Photo Courtesy of Flickr.com/By Hathuyana

No comments:

Post a Comment